Today I write with a heavy heart. We started our morning going on a bus tour around the city of Port Au Prince that was severely damaged by the earthquake last year. Passing several different tent villages on the way, it was unreal and hard to fathom they were people's homes. There was still rubble on the road, and many ruins of building still standing. The most amazing sites were the cathedral where the cross still stood and the presidential palace where the top of the building caved in but the building was still standing. I bought some paintings hand made by some men on the street right outside of the palace. After this we took a tour of the Haiti history museum. Haiti actually used to be spelled Ayti.. Fun fact!
We ate lunch at a sort of Haitian fast food restaurant where I ordered a hamburger which did NOT consist of rice! haha. Following lunch we went to an Pierre's orphanage in Port Au Prince. My heart broke! :(
 |
| Presidential Palace |
 |
| Sleeping baby in the orphanage |
|
|
|
This was not a shoe distribution but a visit just to love on all the children. They were separated by age and the baby room touched me the most. There was tons of babies just laying or sitting in their crib crying just begging to be held. One at a time, I took out a few and just held them and let them hold me. As if I thought it could not get more touching, the children started singing, "How Great is Our God" and "This is the Day That the Lord has Made. WOW!! Today was my favorite so far, but it was also a very hard day. I was fighting for more energy the whole day, and suffering from an extreme amount of bugs bites only on the left side of my body! A large welt in particular was checked out by Dr. Kerr to make sure I was not infected. Good news, just inflamed. Took some Benedryl and should sleep well tonight!
No comments:
Post a Comment