The most meaningful trip I ever took was by far to Liberia, Africa. During the trip we visited two different orphanages. The Daniel Hoover Orphanage and the Orphanage for the deaf. Both of these were eye openers to how easy children have it in America. The main reason to go over was to provide dental and health treatments to the children. The children are not the only ones in need though. Many people are without jobs and are unable to make a living for themselves.
The women in Africa do not wear the casual blue jeans that we see over here. The tradition is a knee or ankle length skirt. For church on Sundays they were their fancy dresses. I was able to get an authentic dress made while I was over in Africa. It consisted of going into a couple different fabric shops filled with hundreds and hundreds of fabric. You pick out what you want and take it to a seamstress. There, you tell the seamstress exactly the design that you want your dress. A few days later, you have a new outfit. Can you imagine shopping like this everyday, not being able to just drive over to the mall and try several things on that are already made? We are so spoiled!!
While online one day, I came across this organization of scarves made by the women in Africa. The money of these fashionable scarves go to helping the women of Africa have an income. Check out this great website and buy a scarf in honor of the unfortunate women in Africa.
http://www.livefashionable.com/
 |
| The Atlantic Ocean |
 |
| Sure doesn't look like a city street in the U.S. |
 |
| The buildings the kids lived in at the orphanage. Often times there were several kids sharing one small mattress, without sheets. |
 |
| The sign to the Orphanage |
 |
| So excited about their toothbrushes! |
 |
| Hanging their clothes to dry |
 |
| African Boy's Choir |
 |
| Our African Dresses |
 |
| At the deaf home. The children were signing : I love you. |
 |
| Brushing the children's teeth |
These are some of the sights in Africa I saw while I was there as well as pictures of some of the inspiring children I met. Next time you think you have life hard, think of the unfortunate people who never had an opportunity being born in a third world country.
No comments:
Post a Comment